The President’s Fishery Conservation Award, established in 1995, is presented in two categories: (1) an AFS individual or unit, or (2) a non-AFS individual or entity, for singular accomplishments or long-term contributions that advance aquatic resource conservation at a regional or local level.
The award is administered by the Past President’s Advisory Council.
Submit Your Nomination
A nomination package should include a strong and detailed letter describing the nominee’s contribution and the evidence for accomplishment at a regional or local level. If the nomination is for an individual, include a CV if possible. Nominations may be supported by multiple individuals by signing one nomination letter, or by submitting supporting letters in addition to the main nomination letter. Include the nominee’s title and full contact information (address, email, and phone). Nominations should be submitted electronically using the form below.
The Awards Committee is dedicated to AFS goal of increasing diversity and inclusion within our Society. As part of this effort, we highly encourage nominations for individuals from historically underrepresented groups in the fisheries field.
Nomination deadline: May 1, 2020.
Contact: Jesse Trushenski, Committee Chair
Past Award Recipients
- 1995 Jerry Rasmussen
- 1996 Mike Dombeck, Oregon Trout
- 1997 Cleve Steward, Donald D. MacDonald, Governor Marc Racicot
- 1998 Jack E. Williams, Governor John Kitzhaber, Oregon Salmon Strategy Team, Paul Brouha
- 1999 Robert L. Kendall, Electric Power Research Institute
- 2000 Columbia River Intertribal Fisheries Commission, John Gunn
- 2001 William Dill, Almo Cordone, William D. Ruckelshaus
- 2002 Salvador Contreras Balderas, Mississippi Interstate Commission Resource Association
- 2003 The Right Honourable Jean Chretien, Prime Minister of Canada, The Honourable David Anderson, Canadian Minister of the Environment
- 2004 Richard K. Kessler, W. Michael Turner
- 2005 Bruce Rieman – Member category; Project Salmon Habitat And River Enhancement (SHARE) – Non-member category
- 2006 Great Lakes Fish Health Committee
- 2007 the Wetlands Initiative
- 2008 Edwin P. Pister
- 2009 Dave W. Willis – Member category; The Hudson River Foundation – Non-member category
- 2010 Eglin Air Force Base Natural Resources Section
- 2011 James Franks – Member category; Trout Unlimited’s Eastern Abandoned Mine Program – Non-member category
- 2012 Turner Enterprises’ Biodiversity Division and the Turner Endangered Species Fund – Non-member category
- 2013 Larry L. Olmsted and James R. Nassar
- 2014 David Fielder and Michael Thomas
- 2015 David Brown – Member category; The Oregon Chub Team – Non-member category
- 2016 Mark Hudy – Member category
- 2017 Richard Dyrland – Member category; The West Palm Beach Fishing Club – Non-member category
- 2018 Jerry Jacobi – Member category; Partnership for the Delaware Estuary – Non-member category
- 2019 Harriet Perry – Member category; World Fish Migration Foundation – Non-member category