Ocean Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout
$0.00 – $98.00
Edited by Richard J. Beamish.
1,090 pp, hardcover, index
Published April 2018
Click HERE for a book review.
There has been great progress during the past two decades in the understanding of the ocean ecology of Pacific salmon and their response to climate-induced changes in their ocean environment. This book is a comprehensive summary and interpretation of the research published on the ocean ecology of six species of Pacific salmon (Pink Salmon, Chum Salmon, Sockeye Salmon, Coho Salmon, Chinook Salmon, and Cherry Salmon), steelhead, and coastal Cutthroat Trout by researchers in Canada, Japan, Korea, Russia, and the United States. The book includes a summary of standard Pacific salmon research techniques in the ocean, and relevant new information on the life history in fresh water.
Each chapter is authored by well-known researchers from Pacific salmon-producing countries. The chapters for each species report on the recent knowledge of the marine life histories, including abundances, stock-specific distributions and migrations, feeding behavior, trophic interactions, growth, survival, and enhancement activities.
The book provides up-to-date scientific information on the ocean life of Pacific salmon as well as discussions about future research needs. It will be an invaluable source of information and a standard reference for scientists, teachers, students, and anyone interested in Pacific salmon.
Introduction: An Overview of the Ocean Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout (Richard J. Beamish)
1. Ocean Ecology of Pink Salmon (Vladimir I. Radchenko, Richard J. Beamish, William R. Heard, and Olga S. Temnykh)
2. Ocean Ecology of Chum Salmon (Shigehiko Urawa, Terry D. Beacham, Masa-aki Fukuwaka, and Masahide Kaeriyama)
3. Ocean Ecology of Sockeye Salmon (Edward V. Farley, Jr., Terry D. Beacham, and Alexander V. Bugaev)
4. Ocean Ecology of Coho Salmon (Richard J. Beamish, Laurie A. Weitkamp, Leon D. Shaul, and Vladimir I. Radchenko)
5. Ocean Ecology of Chinook Salmon (Brian R. Riddell, Richard D. Brodeur, Alexander V. Bugaev, Paul Moran, James M. Murphy, Joseph A. Orsi, Marc Trudel, Laurie A. Weitkamp, Brian K. Wells, and Alex C. Wertheimer)
6. Ocean Ecology of Masu (Cherry) Salmon
6.1 Masu Salmon Group (Kentaro Morita)
6.2 General Biology of Masu Salmon (Kentaro Morita)
6.3 Ocean Life History of Masu Salmon from Ocean Entry to Upstream Migration (Toru Nagasawa)
6.4 Ocean Survivals and Abundance (Yasuyuki Miyakoshi)
7. Ocean Ecology of Steelhead (Katherine W. Myers)
8. Ocean Ecology of Anadromous Coastal Cutthroat Trout (William G. Pearcy, Richard D. Brodeur, Stewart M. McKinnell, and James P. Losee)
9. Methods Used to Study the Ocean Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout
9.1 Physical Oceanography Sampling Techniques (Thomas Royer)
9.2 Micronekton and Fish Sampling (Nancy D. Davis)
9.3 High-Seas Pacific Salmon Tagging (Masa-aki Fukuwaka and Robert V. Walker)
9.4 Methods for Pacific Salmon Scale Studies (Nancy D. Davis)
9.5 Otolith Marking (Dion S. Oxman, Kevin W. McNeel, and Andrew R. Munro)
9.6 Genetic Stock Identification of Pacific Salmon (Lisa W. Seeb, William D. Templin, Christopher Habicht, Fred M. Utter, and James E. Seeb)
9.7 Methods for the Analysis of Diet and Food Consumption Rates of Pacific Salmon in the Marine Environment (Marc Trudel, Strahan Tucker, Alexander V. Zavolokin, and Richard D. Brodeur)
9.8 Pacific Salmon Stock Assessment (James R. Irvine)