Fishery Analysis and Modeling Simulator (FAMS), version 1.64 (for 64 bit operating systems)
Published October 2014.
Downloadable software (9 megs). Installation instructions are at bottom of this page.
Important: This version of FAMS is compatible with Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 operating in 64-bit environments (for Windows XP and earlier versions, purchase FAMS version 1.0). If unsure, check your operating system by clicking the “Start” button, then right-click “Computer,” and then click “Properties.”
For additional information about the product, the user manual and software reviews are available at www.fishdata.org/software
This version of the popular Fishery Analysis and Modeling Simulator (FAMS) will operate on 64 bit operating systems (Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10). FAMS is designed to simulate and evaluate the dynamics of exploited fish populations. It allows for the evaluation of minimum, slot, and inverted length limits and bag limits on exploited fisheries. Input parameters require age-structure data and uses the Jones modification of the Beverton-Holt equilibrium yield equation to compute both a yield-per-recruit and a dynamic pool model. For the dynamic pool model, the entire population is simulated over time. In addition, it helps to analyze several predicted population parameters including the number of fish harvested and dying naturally, mean weight and length of harvested fish, number in the population above and below some lengths of interest, total number of fish and biomass in the population, stock density indices, number of age-1 fish, and the Spawning Potential Ratio (SPR). It also provides the following:
• Addition of an age-length key menu item to allow users to randomly assign ages to un-aged fish based on a sub-sample of known-age fish.
• Enhanced slot limit option of the Yield-Per-Recruit model to allow users to select a length of interest. This will allow computation of the number of fish in the population reaching a particular length in addition to the number of fish reaching the lower and upper slot limits.
• Addition of more species and their associated length categories and standard weight equations based on the 3rd Edition of Fisheries Techniques.
• Enhanced spreadsheet functionality and compatibility with Microsoft Excel.
• Enhanced Natural Mortality Estimation feature, including additional equations.
The FAMS-Add portion of the software package is a Microsoft Excel® Add-In that contains a number of handy data analysis tools: age-length key, frequency distributions, weight-length regression, catch-curve regression, back-calculation and more. These functions are accessed via a menu item placed on the Excel menu bar.
Collectively, these functions are useful for summarizing fish sampling data, identifying outliers and simple statistics.
Compatible with Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 64-bit environments (for Windows XP and earlier versions, purchase FAMS version 1.0). Each copy is licensed for only 1 machine, except for networks used exclusively in educational institutions for teaching purposes.
1. Each paid copy of the software is licensed to be installed on only one machine (see special licensing provisions for education institutions using the software for teaching purposes*). Additional downloads must be purchased for installation on additional machines. Software is compatible only with 64 bit operating systems.
2. It is recommended that you uninstall any previous versions of FAMS prior to installing this software. Failure to do so could cause performance conflicts between this version and older versions.
3. Purchase the software. You will receive a confirmation e-mail containing a download link (“FAMS Download”). Clicking on and opening that link takes you to the “FAMS164setup.exe” file, which will install FAMS 1.64 on your computer. NOTE: The download link must be opened by the purchaser, not by a second party.
5. User manual is included under the “Papers” folder generally installed under the directory where you choose to install the program (e.g., c:program filesFAMS164papers).
* A single copy of FAMS may be used by certified educational institutions for teaching purposes only for installation on computers or networks wholly owned by the educational institution and used solely for instruction of students, with each machine secured to prevent copying or downloading software from it, and whereby only students registered in a class have access to it for class purposes