WHO: American Fisheries Society (AFS) and The Wildlife Society (TWS)
WHAT: Historic first-ever joint conference of the major North American fisheries and wildlife societies that is expected to draw more than 3,000 scientists from around the world
WHEN: Five days (September 29 – October 3)
WHERE: Reno-Sparks Convention Center
- Monday (September 30) welcome from Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt (invited), Nevada Department of Wildlife Director Tony Wasley, and California Department of Fish and Wildlife Director Chuck Bonham
- Monday Joint Plenary speakers include: Becky Humphries, National Wild Turkey Federation; Zeb Hogan, National Geographic’s “Monster Fish” and University of Nevada Reno; and Shane Patrick Mahoney, Conservation Visions
- Thursday Joint Plenary Speakers include: Drew Lanham, Clemson University; Scott Bonar, U.S. Geological Survey; and Serra Hoagland, U.S. Forest Service
- Hundreds of educational presentations will cover issues such as: microplastics, Pacific salmon, invasive species, fish and wildlife diseases, effects of cannabis legalization, environmental DNA and genetics, the global decline of inland fisheries, climate change, wild horses, wildfires, endangered species, marine aquaculture, wolves and other large carnivores, dam removal, avian predation of fish, the Waters of the U.S. (WOTUS) Clean Water Act Rule, working with private landowners, international/transboundary issues such as the Mekong River, drones and other new technology, urban wildlife and fisheries, California’s freshwater resources, and fish and wildlife management on military lands.
- Reno-vating Habitat Film Festival including more than 80 films
- Trade Show with more than 100 exhibitors featuring the latest technology for fish and wildlife scientific research
- 5k event for runners called the “Spawning Run,” filling Bartley Ranch Regional Park with athletic scientists
WHY: Scientists and managers will gather to present the latest cutting-edge research on the major issues impacting fisheries and wildlife.
CONTACT: Beth Beard, cell 240.687.3761, email: [email protected][Note: Press Pass Required]
Five-day full schedule: https://afs.confex.com/afs/2019/meetingapp.cgi/Day/2019-09-30
Conference Website: https://afstws2019.org/
Founded in 1870, the American Fisheries Society (AFS) is the world’s oldest and largest organization dedicated to strengthening the fisheries profession, advancing fisheries science, and conserving fisheries resources. www.fisheries.org