Applications due by March 6, 2018
Attention Students and Young Professionals:
The International Fisheries Section (IFS) of the American Fisheries Society (AFS) is excited to announce the 2018 International Fisheries Section Fellow Award. The Fellow will represent IFS/AFS by presenting a poster or oral presentation at the 2018 Fisheries Society of the British Isles (FSBI) Annual Symposium, July 9-13, at the University of East Anglia, in Norwich, United Kingdom. The theme of the 2018 FSBI Annual Symposium is “The Sustainable Use and Exploitation of Fishes.”
2018 Annual Symposium of the Fisheries Society of the British Isles
University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
9-13 July 2018
The Sustainable Use & Exploitation of Fishes
- FSBI presentation (a presentation slot has been reserved for the recipient of this award)
- Up to $2,100 (USD) of reimbursable travel expenses associated with attending the FSBI Annual Symposium
- Meeting registration, dormitory accommodations, and meal stipend while at the symposium
- 1 year of membership to FSBI
- 2 years of leadership in the International Fisheries Section
This award is open to all Student Members and Young Professional Members (within 2 years of graduation) of the American Fisheries Society, especially those working on topics of international interest or those associated with the symposium theme. However, we encourage all interested Student and Young Professional Members to apply. Current membership with the American Fisheries Society is mandatory to apply for and receive this award.
To apply, please submit the following information as a single PDF document to the Committee Chair for the IFS Fellow Program, Charlie Waters ([email protected]), and the Deputy Committee Chair, Jane Sullivan (jane.s[email protected]) by 11:59pm (PST) on March 6, 2018:
- Letter of interest (please include information about your involvement in AFS and how you will benefit from attending the FSBI Annual Symposium)
- Proposed FSBI presentation title and abstract
- Concise resume
- Proposed travel budget (i.e. airfare, ground transportation, etc.); please specify availability of supporting funds you may have from other sources if budget exceeds allowance
The award recipient will be notified by April 6, 2018.
The awarded Fellow is expected to fulfill the following obligations:
- Attend the 2018 FSBI Annual Symposium and present an oral or poster presentation.
- Submit to the Committee Chair a travel report and photographs for print publication by August 12, 2018.
- Submit travel receipts to the Committee Chair by August 12, 2018 for expense reimbursement.
- Attend the AFS Annual Meeting and IFS committee meeting in Atlantic City, NJ, USA, August 19-23, 2018.
- Act as a site host at the Atlantic City AFS meeting for the FSBI Fellow.
- Serve as the Deputy Committee Chair of the IFS Fellow Award in 2019 and the Committee Chair in 2020.