Global Fisheries Leadership
- Promote fisheries conservation throughout North America and the world at all levels of government and society and among all levels of AFS by supporting sound science and networking opportunities.
- Increase science‐based fisheries conservation by interactions with AFS members and government policy makers.
- Promote fisheries conservation through development and dissemination of public outreach materials.
- Encourage educational institutions at all levels to maintain excellent academic programs in fisheries sciences and related disciplines to assure recruitment of fisheries professionals that meet the needs of employers.
- Ensure that the fisheries professional certification program reflects the integration of many sciences relevant to fisheries while ensuring its recognition as a mark of scientific excellence and expertise.
- Provide a wide array of continuing education opportunities using innovative methods to reach the widest possible audience of fisheries professionals.
Value of Membership
- Determine and respond to the needs and opinions of AFS members.
- Enhance participation of students and professionals at all levels of the society to assure recruitment, retention, and leadership development into the future.
- Promote diversity within AFS and the fisheries profession.
- Develop innovative and cost effective methods to make fisheries science and management information readily available to AFS members and all levels of government entities worldwide.
- Practice good governance and organizational management.