World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Sr. Program Officer – Seafood Traceability at our Washington, DC, office. This position serves jointly on the WWF-US Oceans Team and Markets and Seafood Team, supporting the development and execution of WWF’s strategy to improve seafood traceability and promote transparency in fishing. This role will have links to WWF’s worldwide network through the WWF Oceans Practice. This position is open for an original term of 18 months with a possibility for extension.
- Serves as a leading technical expert to advise and support WWF-US and the global WWF-network on issues of seafood traceability.
- Represents WWF in multiple external engagements with NGO, industry, and governmental stakeholders engaged on issues of seafood traceability.
- Plays a lead role in supporting seafood market engagement and the uptake of traceability systems by WWF industry partners, consistent with the WWF Global Seafood Charter and in alignment with WWF’s Seafood Traceability Principles.
- Serves as the WWF network’s technical lead for development of and engagement in the Global Dialogue on Seafood Traceability (a platform for industry discussions on seafood traceability that is one of WWF’s core seafood initiatives).
- Participates in the design and implementation of traceability solutions within WWF Fisheries Improvement Projects, helping integrate traceability into WWF’s “on the water” work to improve management of priority fisheries.
- Participates in WWF’s global efforts to develop and promote new technologies for improved catch documentation and traceability.
- Advises and represents WWF in interactions with the Marine Stewardship Council, particularly regarding continuous improvement of MSC certification and chain of custody standards as they relate to traceability and the transparency of fishing.
- Participates as needed in traceability-related processes within key external fora such as the Seafood Task Force (formerly the Shrimp Sustainable Supply Chain Task Force), the Fisheries Transparency Initiative, the Conservation Alliance for Seafood Solutions, and the Oceans and Seafood Markets Initiative.
Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required, area of study in supply chain management, logistics, food science, engineering, or business management preferred.
- 6 to 8 years of experience required, with a strong seafood or food industry background with solid understanding of traceability systems and supply chain logistics; experience with responsible seafood sourcing strongly preferred.
- Clear understanding of the dynamic issues of traceability, seafood sustainability and responsible seafood sourcing is essential.
- Strong understanding of the structure of the seafood industry, including fisheries, processors, retailers, restaurants, hotels and supply chains is essential.
- Experience and proven accomplishments working with multiple stakeholders in a seafood industry environment.
- Experience working at the interface of business practices and regulatory policy strongly preferred.
- Strong presentation skills, diplomacy, and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, is a must.
- Ability to work in a timely manner on initiatives with multiple and competing priorities.
- Capacity to work as part of a team, yet possess the initiative and skills to be a self-starter.
- Cultural sensitivity is critical; extensive international experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and spoken English. Foreign language familiarity a strong plus.
- Must be able to travel up to 30% of the time both domestically and internationally.
Ad Closing Date: 3/17/2020
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #20019
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.