2022 – 2023 Chair: Julie Simpson, [email protected]
Assists and advises the President, units, and staff on strategic planning, implementation and training for internal and external communications and products. The Committee sets criteria and guidelines to ensure quality control of all communications sponsored by the Society.
The committee consists of a chair and representation from the divisions, units, membership, staff, and officers (Standing Members) that are most closely associated with implementing current high priority communications processes and products. Members represent each of the Divisions, relevant units, and reflect the range of current communications efforts in AFS, along with other functions such as unit leadership training, continuing education, and web presence. Additional voting members could be added as appropriate.
- Committee Chair
- Northeastern Division representative
- North Central Division representative
- Southern Division representative
- Western Division representative
- Representatives from appropriate units and/or such as the Fisheries Information & Technology Section, Science Communications Section, Membership Committee, Publications Overview Committee, Students/Young Professionals, etc.
- AFS Staff (non-voting)
The committee provides expertise and guidance on developing and implementing a strategic and integrated approach to how AFS uses the full capabilities of its existing communication channels (e.g., the Society website, marketing materials, newsletter, and social media). Communications functions conducted by the Society must systematically meet the goals and objectives of AFS through establishing clear guidelines and expanding the current approach to communications.
The committee will:
- Assess and develop communications strategies based on a comprehensive review of AFS as an organization, existing AFS communications, the needs of AFS members and other groups, effective and current mission and messages, and benchmarking of AFS communications.
- Produce or review materials for inclusion in the AFS Procedures Manual, such as:
- Branding Guidelines
- Social Media Guidelines
- Other documents, as needed
- Work with AFS staff, officers, and other representatives of the Society, units, and subunits to incorporate evaluation, development, and implementation of communications strategies through various AFS communication channels.
- Promote awareness, guidance, concurrence, and strategic implementation with the AFS community affected by implementation of strategies and associated guidelines. The committee works with AFS units and committees as necessary to provide or obtain expertise and training on communications strategies and tactics to be delivered through AFS-sponsored activities.
None specified at this time.