AFS designates as Fellows of the Society certain members who have made outstanding or meritorious contributions to the diversity of fields that are included in the American Fisheries Society. Contributions can include, but are not restricted to, efforts in leadership, research, teaching and mentoring, resource management and/or conservation, and outreach/interaction with the public.
- Any current member of AFS who has been a member of AFS for at least five (5) typically consecutive years is eligible to be nominated to be an AFS Fellow. For these purposes, a member is defined as a dues-paying member or Life Member but does not include Student or Early-Career membership levels.
- A nominee is expected to have been a member of the profession for at least fifteen (15) years (i.e., not attending a degree program full-time). This may be measured as time since the Bachelor or an advanced degree. The committee is encouraged to consider the nominee’s career path in assessing time in the profession.
- Demonstrated excellence of contributions to at least one of the following areas: (1) research and discovery, (2) communication and outreach, (3) education and pedagogy, (4) application of fisheries science to management and/or policy, (5) leadership and/or advancement of the profession.
- The committee is encouraged to encompass all aspects of leadership and advancement of the profession in their assessment of nominees (e.g., fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the fisheries profession, leadership within and outside of AFS, or management of shared fisheries resources.
- Each nominee is to be evaluated individually against the criteria of demonstrated excellence rather than in comparison to other nominees.
- AFS Presidents automatically become Fellows upon their procession to Past President if they are not Fellows already.
The nomination of an individual to be an AFS Fellow can be made by any three members of AFS except members of the Fellows Selection Committee. No AFS member can nominate more than two individuals in a given year. Nomination packets will be considered for three years in a row without resubmission, although nominators are strongly encouraged to submit updated nominations.
Nominations shall be submitted through the online form and will require the following information:
- The names of the three nominators
- The name of the nominee and year she/he earned a PhD. or terminal degree.
- A citation of at most 50 words proposed for use if the nominee is selected to be a Fellow.
- A letter of nomination that describes the nominee’s most significant contributions and her/his impact in one or more of the areas identified above in the Eligibility Criteria. Additional details regarding the criteria used by the Selection Committee for evaluating significant contributions and impact can be found below.
- Up to two additional letters of support may be included to provide detailed insight about a nominee’s professional accomplishments and contributions. These letters can come from anyone, including non-members.
- A curriculum vitae of at most four pages. The CV should include evidence of outstanding contributions as outlined under the eligibility criteria and should be organized as listed below. Note that the CV should include all of the following that apply, and be presented in this order:
- Positions held
- Awards and honors
- 10-15 select publications (and total number)
- Current & recent grants
- Professional service
- Communication & outreach activities
- Teaching & pedagogy experience and activities
- Management & policy activities
2024 Award Nominations should be submitted online at https://afsawards.awardsplatform.com/
Nomination deadline: April 1, 2024
Contact: Leanne Roulson
AFS Fellows by Class Year
|Ira R. Adelman||Bruce A. Barton||Kenneth L. Beal||Richard J. Beamish||Vicki S. Blazer|
|John G. Boreman||Gerald R. Bouck||Bradford E. Brown||Carl V. Burger||Dale P. Burkett|
|Phyllis H. Cahn||Robert F. Carline||John M. Casselman||Joseph J. Cech||Charles C. Coutant|
|Dennis R. DeVries||Joe G. Dillard||Mary C. Fabrizio||William L. Fisher||William G. Franzin|
|Christopher Goddard||Richard Gregory||Carolyn A. Griswold||Gary D. Grossman||Christopher Guy|
|James D. Hall||Eric M. Hallerman||Michael J. Hansen||Fred A. Harris||Ronald Hedrick|
|Joseph E. Hightower||Ray W. Hilborn||Scott Hinch||Wayne A. Hubert||Raymond Hubley|
|Janice S. Hughes||Donald C. Jackson||Ambrose Jearld||Keith B. Jefferts||Barbara A. Knuth|
|Christopher C. Kohler||William C. Leggett||Hiram W. Li||Steve E. Lochmann||John J. Magnuson|
|Joseph F. Margraf||Patricia M. Mazik||Bonnie J. McCay||Richard D. Methot||L Esteban Miranda|
|Stanley A. Moberly||Christine M. Moffitt||Peter B. Moyle||Brian R. Murphy||John A. Musick|
|Jennifer L. Nielsen||Larry A. Nielsen||David L. G. Noakes||Donald J. Noakes||Richard L. Noble|
|Larry L. Olmsted||Nick C. Parker||Daniel M. Pauly||Robert G. Piper||William S. Platts|
|Geoffrey Power||Thomas P. Quinn||Frank J. Rahel||Lee C. Redmond||Henry A. Regier|
|Stephen C. Riley||Kenneth A. Rose||Roger A. Rulifson||Frederick S. Scharf||Carl B. Schreck|
|William L. Shelton||Roy A. Stein||Trent M. Sutton||William W. Taylor||Arden J. Trandahl|
|Fred M. Utter||Gwen M. White||Robert G. White||Paul J. Wingate|
|Jeff Boxrucker||David O. Conover||Reginal M. Harrell||Robert Hughes|
|Robert T. Lackey||Donald J. Orth||Donna L. Parrish||Harold L. Schramm, Jr.|
|Ronald J. Essig||Cynthia M. Jones||David P. Philipp||James B. Reynolds|
|Kirk Owen Winemiller||Reynaldo Patino||Lawrence M. Page||Steven J. Cooke|
|Derek Aday||Jerri Bartholomew||Julie Claussen||Robert Curry|
|Cecil Jennings||Steve McMullin||Gary Whelan|
|Micheal Allen||T. Douglas Beard, Jr.||James R. Bence||Scott Bonar|
|Kai Lorenzen||Julian Olden||Michael C. Quist||Jesse Trushenski|
|Stephanie Carlson||Villy Christensen||Margaret Docker||Marlis Douglas|
|Michael Douglas||Timothy Essington||Donald Gabelhouse||Stanley Gregory|
|J. Ellen Marsden||Gary Matlock||Daniel Schindler||Randall Schultz|
|Jeffrey Buckel||Patrick Cooney||W. Gregory Cope||Daniel Isermann|
|Henriette Jager||Thomas Kwak||Margaret Murphy||Craig Paukert|
|Leanne Roulson||Cory Suski||Alan Temple|
|April Croxton||Thomas Dowling||Jessica Mistak||Joanna Whittier|