What can AFS do for early career professionals? Please take our survey to let us know!
Ron Essig Becomes President of the American Fisheries Society The Society welcomes Ron Essig as its new president!
New Book: Mangroves as Fish Habitat An updated look at mangrove fishery linkages, community ecology and connectivity, ecological services of mangroves, and potential impacts from climate change.
Special Section: Hatcheries and Management of Aquatic Resources (HaMAR) Concurrent with the development of the guidance document (contained in the introduction to the special section and titled “Considerations for Use of Hatcheries and Hatchery-Origin Fish”), some of the HaMAR-related symposium presentations were peer-reviewed and are published in this special section of the journal.
New Book: Managing the Impacts of Human Activities on Fish Habitat Fish species and their habitat are under threat from the impact of overfishing, pollution, and development. This book reviews the science, governance, and practice of assessing and managing these impacts, including use of ecosystem-based approaches.
AFS Letter on Wisconsin Budget Situation Proposed Budget Undermines Critical Fish and Wildlife Research and Training Programs
Fisheries Degrees—List of North American Colleges and Universities The AFS Special Committee on Educational Requirements has completed a final draft of a list of North American colleges and universities that offer degrees in fisheries related disciplines.
JOIN NOW! The incredible diversity of the Society’s membership and the many scientific and professional subdivisions of the field of fisheries science and management that makes membership such a value. AFS was the first society of fisheries professionals, and with a current membership of 9,000, it is the largest such organization. Join now!
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP If you are an AFS member, you have exclusive access to content such as: Fisheries Magazine issues from 2005 – present, videos, such as the business video from our annual meeting, and reports, minutes, and the briefing book of the Governing Board. You can access all of this content at our members only page.
The American Fisheries Society (AFS) is the world’s oldest and largest organization dedicated to strengthening the fisheries profession, advancing fisheries science, and conserving fisheries resources.
RECENT FISHERIES NEWS
- AFS Seeks Journal EditorAFS Seeks Journal Editor The Ame...
- RON ESSIG BECOMES PRESIDENT OF AMERICAN FISHERIES SOCIETYFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE August 19,...
- MEDIA ADVISORY: Fishery Experts Focus on Managing Ecosystems Under StressCONTACT: Erik Robinson, The Pew...
- New Book: Mangroves as Fish HabitatWith the continuing destruction...
- Fisheries Magazine – July 2015Highlights of Fisheries Magazine...
- Effects of Competition with Four Nonnative Salmonid Species on Atlantic Salmon from Three Populations
- Multiscale Environmental Influences on Fish Assemblage Structure of South Atlantic Coastal Plain Streams
- Low Variation in a Y-Chromosomal Growth Hormone Pseudogene Relative to its Functional Autosomal Progenitor Gene in Chinook Salmon
- Modified Water Diversion Structures Can Behaviorally Deter Juvenile Chinook Salmon from Entrainment
- Characterizing the Juvenile Fish Community in Turbid Alaskan Rivers to Assess Potential Interactions with Hydrokinetic Devices
- Research Verification of Production Practices Using Intensive Aeration at a Hybrid Catfish Operation
- Feeding and Growth of Larval Pacific Lamprey Reared in Captivity
- Optimizing Time of Initiation for Triploid Walleye Production Using Pressure Shock Treatment
- Effects of Rearing Density on Total Length and Survival of Lake Sturgeon Free Embryos
- Effects of Stocking Density on Production Traits of Channel Catfish×Blue Catfish Hybrids
- Survival, Growth, and Tag Retention in Age-0 Chinook Salmon Implanted with 8-, 9-, and 12-mm PIT Tags
- Demographics of Shovelnose Sturgeon in the Lower Wabash River, Illinois
- Tolerance and Avoidance Characteristics of Prenant's Schizothoracin Schizothorax prenanti to Total Dissolved Gas Supersaturated Water
- Evaluation of Probabilistic Sampling Designs for Estimating Abundance of Multiple Species of Migratory Fish Using Video Recordings at Fishways
- Assessing Responses of Fish to Habitat Enhancement in Barrenlands Streams of the Northwest Territories
- Oogenesis and Fecundity Type of Gray Triggerfish in the Gulf of Mexico
- A Surplus Production Model Considering Movements between Two Areas using Spatiotemporal Differences in CPUE: Application to Sea Ravens Hemitripterus villosus off Fukushima as a Practical Marine Protected Area after the Nuclear Accident
- Using Salmon Survey and Commercial Fishery Data to Index Nearshore Rearing Conditions and Recruitment of Alaskan Sablefish
- Coastal Migration and Homing of Roanoke River Striped Bass
- Genetic Identification of Chinook Salmon: Stock-Specific Distributions of Juveniles along the Washington and Oregon Coasts
- Influence of Dietary Ascorbic Acid on the Immune Responses of Juvenile Korean Rockfish Sebastes schlegelii
- Development of a PCR Assay Based on a Single–Base Pair Substitution for the Detection of Aeromonas caviae by Targeting the gyrB Gene
- Bacterial Analysis of Fertilized Eggs of Atlantic Salmon from the Penobscot, Naraguagus, and Machias Rivers, Maine
- Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Vibrio alginolyticus by Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Combined with a Lateral Flow Dipstick Targeted to the rpoX Gene
- Analysis of Short-Term Cortisol Stress Response in Channel Catfish by Anesthetization with Metomidate Hydrochloride and Tricaine Methanesulfonate