Dear members the AFS,
We are organizing the World Fish Migration Day 2014 on May 24th.
With the WFMD we want to raise attention for migratory fish and clean and healthy rivers. We are working together with WWF (NL), The Nature Conservancy and IUCN/WI Freshwater Fish Specialists Group.
The current status is that we have already more than 100 event organizers worldwide! Our ambition is 200 locations….
We have a pretty wide variety of events being hosted on May 24th, For example, some participants are organizing:
– Excursions for citizens to rivers where dams have been removed, where fishways have been built; including coloring drawings for children (Spain, USA, Japan)
– Releasing Pacific Lamprey by the Yakama Indian Tribe (USA)
– Kayak and boat tours on a community river, to bring their citizen closer to their home river, (USA, Brazil)
– Fish Passage Centers and Nature Musea opening this day, (we are trying to have all Fish Passage Centers all over the world),
– Fishways’ inaugurations (Australia)
– Fishways tour on the Kruger National Park (South Africa)
– University talks for the general public (Zambia)
It would be great if you could organize an event and/or if you could help to spread the message actively within your network…. As you see, it can be different kind of events and can, of course, be as well activities you had already planned.
See our webiste http://www.worldfishmigrationday.com for more information. You can also find us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WorldFishMigrationDay) or Twitter (@WFMD2014).
We are looking forward to hear from you and if you have any questions
please do not hesitate to contact us….!
On behalf of the WFMD partnership,
Herman Wanningen & Pao Fernandez