5% Discount on Airfare to Portland AFS MEETING SPECIAL: Alaska Airlines offers 5% discount on airfare to Portland!
Transactions Abstract: Hybridization in the Endangered Owens Tui Chub The Owens Tui Chub Siphateles bicolor snyderi has become endangered by introgressive hybridization with the Lahontan Tui Chub S. bicolor obesa since the 1960s. Adequate conservation strategies require prior identification of pure populations, which is usually difficult because the...
New AFS Book: Black Bass Diversity Covers the biological, ecological, genetic, and management concerns of endemic basses within the genus Micropterus.
New Fisheries Magazine – March 2015 • Policy
• Journals Summaries
• Meet the Staff
• Journals Summaries
• Meet the Staff
Calling All Reviewers While you should have some experience as a fisheries professional (graduate study counts here), becoming a good reviewer is a process, and the best way to become a good reviewer is to start doing reviews.
Second Vice President Candidate Statements GET READY TO VOTE! All AFS members will receive an email with instructions on how to vote online. (Only current members can vote. To become a member, visit: www.fisheries.org/membership)
2015 Fellow Award The International Fisheries Section Fellow will represent the Society by presenting a poster or oral presentation at the 2015 Fisheries Society of the British Isles (FSBI) Annual Symposium. Benefits: · Up to $2,100 (USD) of reimbursable travel expenses associated with attending the FSBI Annual Symposium · Room and Board while at the symposium · 1 year of membership to FSBI
Let’s Meet in Portland! 2015 will find us in Portland for the 145th AFS Annual Meeting. Be there!
Fisheries Degrees—List of North American Colleges and Universities The AFS Special Committee on Educational Requirements has completed a final draft of a list of North American colleges and universities that offer degrees in fisheries related disciplines.
JOIN NOW! The incredible diversity of the Society’s membership and the many scientific and professional subdivisions of the field of fisheries science and management that makes membership such a value. AFS was the first society of fisheries professionals, and with a current membership of 9,000, it is the largest such organization. Join now!
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP If you are an AFS member, you have exclusive access to content such as: Fisheries Magazine issues from 2005 – present, videos, such as the business video from our annual meeting, and reports, minutes, and the briefing book of the Governing Board. You can access all of this content at our members only page.
The American Fisheries Society (AFS) is the world’s oldest and largest organization dedicated to strengthening the fisheries profession, advancing fisheries science, and conserving fisheries resources.
Annual Meeting tip: The rooms are filling up at the DoubleTree. However, all pre-meeting workshops and three of the networking events are more convenient to the Hilton. Book your room today.
RECENT FISHERIES NEWS
- Transactions Journal: A Sex-Determining Gene (sdY) Assay Shows Discordance between Phenotypic and Genotypic Sex in Wild Populations of Chinook SalmonAbstract Sex is determined genet...
- Transactions Abstract: Morphometric Contribution to the Detection of Introgressive Hybridization in the Endangered Owens Tui Chub in CaliforniaAbstract The Owens Tui Chub Siph...
- Transactions Book Review: A Review of “Regional Fisheries Oceanography of the California Current System: The CalCOFI Program”Book Review Regional Fisheries O...
- New AFS Book: Black Bass DiversityThe book’s 47 chapters cover the...
- New this year! An AFS Film Festival: America’s Fish and Fisheries – Shared through the Camera LensThe Southeast Alaska Fish Habita...
- A Review of “Regional Fisheries Oceanography of the California Current System: The CalCOFI Program”
- Morphometric Contribution to the Detection of Introgressive Hybridization in the Endangered Owens Tui Chub in California
- A Sex-Determining Gene (sdY) Assay Shows Discordance between Phenotypic and Genotypic Sex in Wild Populations of Chinook Salmon
- Environmental Factors Affecting Brook Trout Occurrence in Headwater Stream Segments
- Quantifying Avian Predation on Fish Populations: Integrating Predator-Specific Deposition Probabilities in Tag Recovery Studies
- Review of The Rockfish's Warning
- Review of A Guide to the Rockfishes, Thornyheads, and Scorpionfishes of the Northeast Pacific
- Imprinting of Hatchery-Reared Salmon to Targeted Spawning Locations: A New Embryonic Imprinting Paradigm for Hatchery Programs
- A Comprehensive Approach for Habitat Restoration in the Columbia Basin
- Calling All Reviewers—The AFS Editorial Board
- Feeding Rates Affect Expression of Heat-Shock Protein 70 in Green Sturgeon Fry
- Evaluation of Dietary Soy Sensitivity in Snake River Cutthroat Trout
- Changes in Sex Steroids, Growth Hormone, and Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I during Ovarian Development in Rainbow Trout Cultured in a Water Recirculating System with Continuous Light
- Effects of Fish Oil Sparing on Fillet Fatty Acid Composition in Hybrid Striped Bass Are Influenced by Dietary Levels of Saturated and Unsaturated Fatty Acids
- Performance of Cage-Raised, Overwintered Hybrid Striped Bass Fed Fish Meal- or Soybean-Based Diets
- Comment: Experimental Studies of Electroshock Effects on Fish Require In-Water Measurements and Fish Threshold Observations to Achieve Electrofishing Context
- Using Genetic Markers as Individual Tags: a Case Study of a Mark–Recapture Estimate of Adult Muskellunge Population Size
- Experimental Studies of Electroshock Effects on Fish Require In-Water Measurements and Fish Threshold Observations to Achieve Electrofishing Context: Response to Comment
- Data Availability for Red Snapper in Gulf of Mexico and Southeastern U.S. Atlantic Ocean Waters
- Reservoir Area of Influence and Implications for Fisheries Management
- Marine Distribution and Habitat Use of Atlantic Sturgeon in New York Lead to Fisheries Interactions and Bycatch
- Estimating Sturgeon Abundance in the Carolinas Using Side-Scan Sonar
- Temporal and Spatial Dynamics of the Lionfish Invasion in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico: Perspectives from a Broadscale Trawl Survey
- Journal of Aquatic Animal Health: Guide for Authors 2015
- The Impact of Egg Ozonation on Hatching Success, Larval Growth, and Survival of Atlantic Cod, Atlantic Salmon, and Rainbow Trout
- Efficacy of Florfenicol for Control of Mortality Associated with Edwardsiella ictaluri in Three Species of Catfish
- Assessment of the Long-Term Viability of the Myxospores of Myxobolus cerebralis as Determined by Production of the Actinospores by Tubifex tubifex
- Colorimetric Method of Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification with the Pre-Addition of Calcein for Detecting Flavobacterium columnare and its Assessment in Tilapia Farms