December 2014: Fisheries Magazine • Blogging Fish Science - Dan Isaak • Revisiting Hopes for Created and Restored Habitats - Thomas E. Bigford • Paleoclimate Shaped Bluefish Structure in the Northern Hemisphere - Three genetic units were identified across the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. • Steven Berkeley Everything! • Awards • Meeting Wrap Up • And more!
AFS End-of-Year Book Sale Over 100 titles priced from $5 to $20!
Let’s Meet in Portland! 2015 will find us in Portland for the 145th AFS Annual Meeting. Be there!
How to Anesthetize an Octopus A Journal of Aquatic Animal Health article was recently cited in Science magazine's “How to anesthetize an octopus.”
New AFS Continuing Education Survey! Help AFS support your professional development by telling us about continuing education needs, interests and preferences or those of your staff. The new 2014 survey is available now. We can't wait to hear from you!
New version of Fisheries Analysis and Modeling Simulator released! The popular software “Fisheries Analysis and Modeling Simulator” (FAMS) version 1.64 has just been published.
New Video: Hutton Junior Biology Fisheries Program An Introduction to the Hutton Junior Fisheries Biology Program
Inland Fisheries—Call For Abstracts Include a discussion about possible future scenarios. Biological Assessment; Economic and Social Assessment; Drivers and Synergies; and, Policy and Governance; or go here for more information....
Fisheries Degrees—List of North American Colleges and Universities The AFS Special Committee on Educational Requirements has completed a final draft of a list of North American colleges and universities that offer degrees in fisheries related disciplines.
JOIN NOW! The incredible diversity of the Society’s membership and the many scientific and professional subdivisions of the field of fisheries science and management that makes membership such a value. AFS was the first society of fisheries professionals, and with a current membership of 9,000, it is the largest such organization. Join now!
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP If you are an AFS member, you have exclusive access to content such as: Fisheries Magazine issues from 2005 – present, videos, such as the business video from our annual meeting, and reports, minutes, and the briefing book of the Governing Board. You can access all of this content at our members only page.
The American Fisheries Society (AFS) is the world’s oldest and largest organization dedicated to strengthening the fisheries profession, advancing fisheries science, and conserving fisheries resources.
RECENT FISHERIES NEWS
- CareersGeneral Job Information Tips on...
- In Memoriam: Grace Klein-MacPhee: 1939—2014The American Fisheries Society a...
- In Memoriam: Richard (Dick) Ryder—AFS President: 1980—1981It is with great sorrow that the...
- AFS End-of-Year Book SaleAFS is offering over 100 publica...
- Correspondence between Scale Morphometrics and Scale and Otolith Chemistry for Interpreting Juvenile Salmon Life Histories
- Changes in Relative Abundance of Several Minnesota Fishes from 1970 to 2013
- Comparison of Tributary Survival Estimates of Steelhead using Cormack–Jolly–Seber and Barker Models: Implications for Sampling Efforts and Designs
- Fall Spawning of Atlantic Sturgeon in the Roanoke River, North Carolina
- Otolith Chemistry to Determine Within-River Origins of Alabama Shad in the Apalachicola–Chattahoochee–Flint River Basin
- Efficacy of Iodine for Disinfection of Lake Sturgeon Eggs from the St. Lawrence River, New York
- Growth Performance of Hybrid Striped Bass, Rainbow Trout, and Cobia Utilizing Asian Carp Meal-Based Aquafeeds
- Effect of Feed Pellet Characteristics on Growth and Feed Conversion Efficiency of Largemouth Bass Raised in Ponds
- Variability in Size Traits of Sunshine Bass Larvae from Different Male Striped Bass
- Positive Correlation Between Inhibition of Branchial and Renal Carbonic Anhydrase and Ammonia Produced by Cultured Silver Catfish Rhamdia quelen
- Movement and Spatial Distribution of Common Carp in a South Dakota Glacial Lake System: Implications for Management and Removal
- Importance of Ultrasonic Field Direction for Guiding Juvenile Blueback Herring Past Hydroelectric Turbines
- A Simulation-Based Evaluation of In-Season Management Tactics for Anadromous Fisheries: Accounting for Risk in the Yukon River Fall Chum Salmon Fishery
- Morphological Discrimination of Genetically Distinct Chinook Salmon Populations: an Example from California's Central Valley
- Comment: Not all Biases are Created Equal—A Comment on the Snorkel Survey Bias Observed by Hessenauer et al. (2014)
- Observations of Seasonal Movement from a Single Tag Release Group of Pacific Cod in the Eastern Bering Sea
- Informing Recovery Goals Based on Historical Population Size and Extant Habitat: A Case Study of the Gulf Sturgeon
- Estimation of Hook Selectivity of Red Snapper and Vermilion Snapper from Fishery-Independent Surveys of Natural Reefs in the Northern Gulf of Mexico
- Estimating Proxy Economic Target Reference Points in Data-Poor Single-Species Fisheries
- Experimental Assessment of Circle Hook Performance and Selectivity in the Northern Gulf of Mexico Recreational Reef Fish Fishery